Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Resurrection of Pang Eats

So my mum emailed me the other day and said we should resurrect the EATING group that I started with Anna. The idea is to pick a new and easy recipe to make together (even though we're not in the same city/country) so we can break up the monotony of weekday dinners! Even though we're in different seasons (perhaps she won't feel like soup when I do!), it'll still be fun and it connects us in a way that is intimate. For, very often when I cook, I think of Mum and how she used to cook the dishes that I so love. When I first moved out, I constantly emailed and phoned her to make sure I was doing the right thing. I still do that sometimes!

This week, Mum picked the recipe and it is Simple Salmon Chirashi.
1 cup medium grain white rice
salmon fillets for two
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup halved ans sliced english cucumber
1 cup cubed avocado
1 sheet nori, torn into pieces
2 green onions, sliced diagonally
2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp wasab powder
1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil

Cook rice.
Preheat broiler.
Sprinkle salmon on both sides with salt and pepper
Broil fish until done the way you like it, about 6 minutes for medium
Divide rice among two bowls.
Lay a piece of salmon on each
Top each serving with cucumber, avocado, nori, onions and sesame seeds.
Mix soy sauce and oil in a small bowl and serve with the salmon and rice.





broiled salmon with the works!

yukari
I even sprinkled just a bit of Yukari, which is Japanese purple basil. It has a very distinct salty taste and it really livens up plain rice! I use it sometimes on congee.
Broiled salmon with a sprinkle of yukari
Salmon with Yukari

1 comment:

thisgoodhearth said...

WoW!!
Yours look very good,too!
I would make this again.