Thursday, October 06, 2011

Noodle disaster (again)



Do you ever get mad when you make a dinner that is not stellar AND nowhere near what it's supposed to look like? This happens to me alot with noodle dishes. Remember the hope dashing day of noodle pulling? Yes, we'd all like to put that behind us. So when my mum suggested this HK favourite recipe, I said to myself, alright Noodle, you're on.

This recipe is taken from Kokken69 but it is a ubiquitous breakfast dish in Hong Kong. It really is a comfort food. The recipe is simple and usually is eaten with congee and yau tza gwai (chinese fried donut).


Recipe :
Dried Egg Noodle 200g (blanched quickly in hot water to soften. Drain and set aside)
Premium light soya sauce 2 tbsp (生抽王)
Premium dark soya sauce 1 tbsp (老抽王)
Oyster sauce 1/2 tbsp
Sugar 1/8 tsp
Pepper Generous dash

Bean sprouts 1 loose cup
Chinese Chives 1/2 loose cup ( I didn't have this with me so I omitted this)
Toasted Seseame seeds Generous sprinkle.

Method :
1. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a heated wok.
2. Add bean sprouts and fry for 1 minute over medium heat. Add softened noodles and fry for 1/2 minute over high heat.
3. Add all seasoning and continue to fry noodles over high heat for about 2-3 minutes.
4. Add in Chinese chives and fry for another 1/2 minute. Sprinkle on toasted sesame seeds and dish out. Serve with chilli sauce.

Here's what Kokken69's noodles look like:
Inviting isn't it?

Here's what I made:



disaster
Yea. nailed it.


Problem? It said to blanch the noodles quickly, in and out. I put it in, stirred it a bit and took it out. Let it drain and did other things. I should have ran cold water onto it because the noodles kept on cooking and it all balled up together. This made me blood boil and I called defeat. You win Noodles, take your noodles and head onto the next town.

Boo!!!

Bad dinners make me sad and tired, so the next night,my wonderful man made a Thai Curry because he knew I had been wanting Thai all week. Aaron is a man of from start to finish so his dinners always taste good. He scorns at recipes that instructs you to add paste, he wants to make his own paste. The taste is so different!



galangal
Thai curry paste
Aaron's thai curry

The final prodouct. Vegetarian Thai Curry.
Happy Tiff.

2 comments:

charinthecity said...

Lucky girl! Where'd Aaron get his mega cooking skills? I love noodles, so I have had to get it right... too expensive to eat noodles out all the time in the UK. I love buying the fresh egg noodles and stir frying them.

thisgoodhearth@blogspot.com said...

Oh, what a difference.
Next time when your noodles balled up, you can put them in a colander and pour hot water over it. That will separate the strands, then quickly with a few jerks of the hand, shake it dry and cook it up.
It should help.
A little.