Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Last day of road trip

Our last stretch of the road trip was cruisy with one goal in mind: have seafood lunch in Kaikoura and look at some adorable seals at the seal colony. We did have a great seafood lunch but did not see seals because the tide was high and we couldn't get to the rocks that they were laying on. Plus, a few weeks beforehand, some punk kids (who should be locked up in jail) clubbed around 20 baby seals to death and I think that has made the entire colony a bit weary. I mean, what kind of sick person would do that?!
kaikoura
kaikoura lager, damn good on a hot summers day
kaikoura feast
We had a bowl of steamed mussels and a half a bbq crayfish.
Loved loved loved the mussels. I never did like mussels and I think it is because the other times I had it, they were always over done and chewy. This time they are actually refreshing and so very delicious. We washed it all down with a pint of Kaikoura lager. Summer heaven.

The drive from Kaikoura to Rangiora where Aaron's parents live, is a mere 2.5 hours if that. We got home to enjoy Christmas eve and I got to feed the chooks. They're super cute, when they hear the feed shaking in the container, they come running. It's hilarity.
the chooks in the backyard
the adams's rooster


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish that for hooligans like those who so brutally murdered the baby seals, that they could for one minute experience the agony of their actions.

thisgoodhearth said...

In case you're wondering, the author was me.
Your mum.